Before the arrival of colonists, the area was used by the Wampanoag and Abenaki natives, though few remained in the bay area for long, as it was considered cursed.
1639 – Kingsport is founded. The first colonists disappeared mysteriously after being warned of dangers by a travelling band of Abenaki natives. The second set of colonists were more successful.
1685 – The Strange High House on the Hill is constructed by William Bain.
1692 – During the Massachusetts witch hysteria, 13 Kingsport residents are hanged or drowned.
December 21-22, 1722 – On the winter solstice, Kingsport citizens raid a “culte of wytches”. Almost 40 are jailed for graverobbing, unlawful assembly, and other crimes. Some die in custody. The disposition of many is not recorded.
1778 – British warships blockade Kingsport Harbor. Citizens haul cannon up the causeway to fire on them.
1824 – The Hall School is founded, an all-male college academy for the wealthy. It is the predecessor to Kingsport College.
1829 – The Kingsport Chronicle is founded.
1918 – The Pilot Island Lighthouse and Coast Guard station begins operation.