A small town formed at the crossroads of several trading routes in the early 19th century, it reached its peak in 1915, when the lumber mill, publishing house and quarry were all running.
During World War 2, the Army quietly kept German naval POWs in a camp outside Central Corners to the northwest.
However, when Highway 1 was constructed in the 1950s and ended up on the other side of the river, Central Corners began to fail. By the early 1960s, only the publishing house remained open, and the population of the town was under 500.
A tourist boom in the 1980s made it a “wooded getaway”.with beds and breakfasts and artist galleries. It’s struggled on since then.